Monday, October 1, 2012




It's been a while since I last posted, I have moved to Dakar.  The roof of the building I'm living in has a rooftop view of the ocean.  It's not the most stunning view of the ocean, but still!

Dakar is quite different from Thies, it's rather like the difference between a small town and a big city.  I think that is because the main difference between the two is that Dakar is big city and Thies is a small town by comparison.


One thing I liked about Thies was that in five minutes I could be running on a lonely red gravel road.  Alack and alas, not so in Dakar, not so.  But I can run to the ocean, and that's pretty neat.

I've tried to watch the sunrise from our rooftop, it will rise over the water as we are on the eastern half of Dakar, which is actually on a peninsula.  The clouds have not cooperated with my efforts though.  Perhaps someday in the next month and a half it will happen that I witness a sunrise.



 In my exploration of Dakar I've discovered a few Catholic churches.  Here is one that is especially suitable for today, as October 1st is the memorial of it's patron, St. Therese of the Child Jesus.


I also saw this billboard in my adventures.  I more of a Case-International type, but hey.  After all, it is harvest time back Stateside, and come to think of it, it is harvest time here too.  Though I haven't seen any JD combines, or any JD equipment for that matter.


2 comments:

  1. An ocean view! I hope you get to see some good sunrises while you're there. I have been taunted by the glimpse of many a beautiful sunrise/sunset in Columbus recently, but the flatness here always hides it from view. I hope everything is going well for your last month or so!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elizabeth! I can totally relate to your comment on Columbus, having grown up in the country, I'm comfortable saying there are just too many buildings for good sunrises and sunsets in Columbus. I hope that graduate school is going very well for you!

    ReplyDelete