Friday, July 20, 2012

In Nioro

So a couple of weeks ago we were conducting some field work near the town of Nioro du Rip.  Here follows an account of some of the things that occured.

So Nioro is about three hours away, we got a late start but still managed to get there by perhaps three or four in the afternoon.  After dropping our bags off at the place we were staying we headed to the field.  After  a few hours of work (installing soil moisture sensors with one of the PhD students and taking soil samples for myself), it was realized that somehow the soil moisture sensors had evaded our eager hands and managed to remain back in Thies.  It was thus decided that Nate and our driver would head back to Thies and get an early start the next morning to arrive in Nioro sometime in the morning.  They left.  After another hour or so of work it was time for us to head into town.  We walked, and walked, stopped, then walked some more.  I think it was 19km or so.  Suffice to say that when we arrived none of us felt like doing much.
Samples!!!

The next morning we began the trek back, happily though we stopped for some delicious cafe Touba and some local bread.  This bread is delicious.  It's got some substance to it.  Sometimes when I'm having French bread I'm just disappointed with how light, fluffy, not dense it is.  This local bread is fantastic.  It's one of the reasons I look forward to going to Nioro (although today the breakfast place I went to here in Thies had it, yes!).

The rest of that day was pretty uneventful if I remember correctly.  Nate and our driver returned and we carried on with the work.

One of the day's I got my first taste of the Senegalese rainy season.  I must admit, to this point I was a little disappointed.  No crazy rain or anything.  This was different.



It started out as your typical down pour.   Some big drops were falling, very windy.  That sort of thing.  I was feeling very exuberant.  We were almost done for the day.  So as we hastened to finish up I was grinning (perhaps maniacally, I like to think maybe a little) and saying things like, "Ahhh yeah, here we go!"  And as the big drops started to fall intermittently, "This is what I'm talking about!"  Then it really started to pour.  It was painful.  Have you ever stuck your arm out of a car window while driving 55mph and it is pouring rain?  This rain felt akin to that only we were standing still.  Quickly my exuberance turned to awe.  But I was still having a blast.  It was very cool.  We scampered around and finished up, with a little bit of cowering on the downwind side of the truck (where one could remain effectively out of the rain).

One of the symptoms of downpours in Senegal, at least in Nioro and Thies, is the power going out.  So on the way back to our abode, we stopped to get some candles at one of the roadside general stores.  I ran in with Roger (post-doc from the Ivory Coast, Roger is awesome.) and we purchased some candles.  We ran back to the truck where Roger and our driver, Damesee (spelling probably wrong), exchanged words in French.  Next thing I knew I was being pushed back out into the rain with a couple of Senegalese coins in my hand.  I had to get more candles.  I ran back to the store.  I saw a woman with whom Roger at spoken.  I held out the coins and said, "Candles."  She picked up a mango, and looking quizzically at me said, "Mango?"  This was going to be difficult.  I realized that it wasn't her store and went to the counter.  Tea?  No, candles.  Biskrem (delicious pre-packaged snack)?  No, candles.  Matches?  No, but now we were getting somewhere, my hand motions were working.  Then, boom!  The fellow beside me who was doing his best to help figure out what I wanted said, "Candles!", with a voice that goes with the realization of the answer to a riddle.  Yes!!!  With Damesee honking the horn I exchanged the coins for two candles and went running back into the rain.  Candles.  Mango?  All time classic mix-up.

Something else totally awesome that happened was that our Nioro field tech (no idea how to spell his name) made us tea.  And not just any tea, this was the most delicious tea I've ever had.  Steeped over charcoal under the shade of an African tree.  It was magnificent.  I have recently acquired a teapot and tried to emulate him.  Suffice to say some Senegalese got a kick out of my attempt.  But with there help, I'm getting better!

Making tea.

So that's all I think except for this fun fact.  While in Nioro we eat lunch and supper at the same place, and they have the same two options for lunch everyday, and I've known them to have three options for supper.  Luckily it's really good food!


Also, I was able to go to Mass at Our Lady of Angels, Nioro!  God is great!  God bless you!

Blessed be God forever!







2 comments:

  1. 1. The blog is great David! Fun to read.
    2. We could use some rain like that here in Ohio. Everything is starting to look crispy.
    3. I want to try some of this tea...is it the brewing (steeping?) process that makes it so delicious or the actual tea itself? I'm guessing both, but I am intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Elizabeth, I'm glad to hear it's not a bore! I think your right about it being both! I have actually acquired a tea kettle and am working on the tea brewing (steeping?) my first batch was ok. I still need practice!

    ReplyDelete